Looking for a job at the Fine Arts Library? Start by reading the job descriptions below. Note that there may not be any openings at the time that you apply:
Library Public Services Assistant II
Mui Ho Fine Arts Library
200 Rand Hall, Ithaca, NY 14853
Supervisor: Brennen Feint, Administrative Supervisor
Dates of Employment: August 25 – December 18, 2021 (Academic Semesters)
Rate of Pay: $12.75/hour
Purpose or Role of the Position Within the Organization:
Circulation Assistants are the first point of contact for most of the requests and inquiries made at the circulation desk, courteously and professionally referring patrons to the appropriate resources to meet their needs. Often, assigned tasks and patron inquiries vary greatly, which is why great interpersonal skills, critical thinking, and willingness to accept new challenges are very important. Our new library is beautiful, but our circulation assistants will need to be comfortable with heights and moving heavier books than most libraries, due to the design of our stacks. No prior experience is required.
Duties/Responsibilities of the Position:
• Lend, renew, and return material at the circulation desk.
• Assist with projects such as shelf-reading, mail processing, or pulling books.
• Sort and shelve books, periodicals, and videos.
• Perform all service functions at the circulation desk, such as searching the online system, answering the phone, and placing holds, recalls, and tracers.
• Help explain library policies and procedures to patrons.
• Help answer directional and miscellaneous questions about the library, making referrals to the reference staff when appropriate, and directing non-routine questions or situations to a supervisor.
• May perform complex tasks such as item record creation and modification, or assist the reserve supervisor with some of the more complex reserve processing tasks.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Students working the closing shifts assist the supervisor in clearing the building of all patrons.
• In the absence of their direct supervisor, student assistants report to the other daytime and/or evening supervisors in charge at the circulation desk.
• Must be able to lift 30 pounds easily (due to our heavy books) and work in a dusty environment.
• Must be okay with heights, due to grated floors that can be seen through from several levels above the ground.
• Must be a registered, full-time Cornell student.
• Ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people at a public service desk.
• Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, and ability to work well under pressure.
• Must be reliable and punctual, exercise good judgment, and be willing to ask questions.
• Basic computer skills/familiarity.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Must work in accordance with New York State confidentiality law regarding library records, as well as the confidentiality policy created by Cornell University Student Employment.
• Interest in substituting for others’ shifts when available
• Interest in long-term employment, i.e. more than one year
• Federal Work Study funding preferred, but not required
• Previous work experience in a library, customer service, or other related setting
Must work a minimum of six hours per week (8-10 hours per week is typical). Shifts include daytime, evening and/or weekend hours. Schedule is usually the same each week, for the duration of the semester. Required to work through to the last day of finals. Student workers are responsible for securing their own substitutes if time off is taken.
If you are interested in the position, please fill out an application.
Contact: Brennen Feint, Administrative Supervisor
Phone: (607) 255-3710